Dr Pravin Thevathasan reviews
CTS Explanations Series - Published by the Catholic Truth Society
CTS Explanations consists of a series of booklets explaining some of the crucial ethical issues that confront us. They have been produced by the Linacre Centre, the leading Catholic Centre for health care ethics in Great Britain and Ireland. The booklets include:
1. Abortion - this looks at the main reasons for abortion, the methods of abortion and why abortion is wrong. This is a reasoned defence of Church teaching.
2. Euthanasia - the various terms including voluntary, non-voluntary and involuntary euthanasia are described. The reasons why euthanasia is always wrong are explored, and the alternatives to euthanasia -- including palliative care -- are examined.
3. Organ Transplants and the Definition of Death - we may be surprised to read that the definition of death is controversial. Is brain death an adequate definition? Can transplants be unethical?
4. Infertility - this argues that IVF is never acceptable. The child ought to be the fruit of married love. Human embryos need to be given the same respect as any other human being.
5. Prenatal tests - this booklet explains the various tests available in pregnancy, including amniocentesis and chononic villus sampling. A very practical booklet.
6. Gene Therapy and Human Genetic Engineering - issues discussed include Gene therapy, designer babies, and genetic enhancements. The author succeeds in clearly explaining the complex issues involved.
7. Cloning and stem cell research - the differences between reproductive cloning and so-called therapeutic cloning are discussed. Ethically acceptable stem cell research is further noted.
The booklets are uniformly readable and they are loyal to the teachings of the Church. Highly recommended.
Dr Pravin Thevathasan
Available from: www.cts-online.org.uk/CTS_Publications.htm
Theotokos Catholic Books - Publications Section - www.theotokos.org.uk